As part of a worldwide network of educational institutions, the South African Institute of Sathya Sai Education (SAISSE) is a non-profit organization dedicated to the mission of promoting the principles and programmes of Sathya Sai Education in Human Values (SSEHV) for the upliftment of the quality of life in society. Services are rendered on a voluntary basis.
- SAISSE is a body established and directly accountable to the Sathya Sai World Foundation Education Committee (SSWF Education Committee)
- SAISSE shall also provide information as and when requested to the Central Co-ordinator of Southern Africa and/or the Zone Chair of the Africa and United Kingdom Regions, who in turn reports to the Sathya Sai Prasanthi Council (SSPC).
- SAISSE is mandated to ensure that the Sai educational Institutions in South Africa function in accordance with the teachings and principles of Sri Sathya Sai Baba.
- SAISSE and the three Sai Schools in South Africa are incorporated under the Sathya Sai Education Trust of South Africa (SSET) which is responsible for its financial and legal obligations.
- SAISSE is supported by the Sathya Sai Seva Organization of South Africa (SSSO) and the Sathya Sai Central Trust of South Africa (SSCT).
The Core Tennets of the SSEHV programme, which make it unique, are the following:
- Unity of Head, Heart and Hand (3HV)
- Ceiling on Desires
- Unity in Diversity
- Unity of Faiths
Vision of SAISSE
The SAISSE shall be a Centre of Excellence for the promotion of Sathya Sai Education in Human Values (SSEHV).
The Institute will offer programmes and professional guidance to the community at the primary, secondary, tertiary and community levels based on Sathya Sai Education in Human Values through both formal and non-formal education.
The Mission will be achieved through the following:
- Establishing a universal understanding of the spiritual principles underlying education based on the teachings of Sri Sathya Sai Baba;
- Offering SSEHV teacher-training programmes;
- Enhancing awareness, understanding and promotion of SSEHV with the establishment and governance of Sathya Sai Schools in South Africa based on the philosophy of Educare and the pedagogy of integral education;
- Offering community outreach training and development programmes based on SSEHV;
- Collaborate with other training and community organisations to promote the principles and philosophy of SSEHV;
- Engaging in research activities relating to SSEHV.
Functions of SAISSE
As an educational institution, SAISSE shall offer SSEHV training programmes and provide professional guidance, oversight and support to all Sathya Sai educational institutions in South Africa as approved by the SSSWF.
SSEHV Training Activities
SAISSE shall undertake training of teachers and teacher trainers who are preparing themselves for, or are already teaching SSEHV in Sathya Sai Schools, partnership schools and in SSEHV community programmes. Teacher training for Sai Spiritual Education (SSE) offered by the SSSO may be undertaken upon specific request by the SSSO. Training also relates to parenting and continuous professional development for the teachers of Sathya Sai Schools, partnership schools and SSEHV community projects. Training activities will be undertaken in accordance with the SSSWF Guidelines for Training Programmes.
Professional Support to Sathya Sai Schools in South Africa
- Comply with the SSSWF Guidelines for Sai Schools;
- Facilitate the election and appointment of members to the School Governing Body (SGB) in accordance with the Constitution of the SGB;
- Provide guidance and oversight in the discipline, appointments and termination of all employees at the School;
- Ensure that all Sathya Sai Schools are fully compliant with the applicable legislative and regulatory framework in South Africa as well as with all Policies eg. Umalusi, government subsidy application and NPO status;
- Ensure that all the stakeholders of the Sathya Sai Schools, namely teachers, other staff, SGB, and its employees receive continuous professional guidance and support for their development;
- Develop and conduct in-service training of teachers in the Schools and within the broader community;
- Implement Sai Standards, a Total Quality Managment system,by conduct periodic monitoring and evaluation at the Schoolsfor accreditation and quality assurance purposes;
- Provide strategic intervention in respect of remedial or corrective measures in the Schools, as determined by need; determine the feasibility of existing and new Sathya Sai Schools; and
- Any other matters that SAISSE deems appropriate.
Educational Resources Development
SAISSE shall develop the appropriate teaching and learning resources for use in the Sai Schools and other educational institutions. SAISSE shall ensure that all teaching and learning resources are to be consistent with the core syllabus for SSEHV qualifications approved by the SSSWF and authentically reflect the core principles of the Educare philosophy.
Professional Support to Partnership Schools and the Community
Provide SSEHV teacher training, general guidance, advice and support to the school leadership and teachers with regard to introduction of SSEHV through curricular and co-curricular activities. SAISSE may periodically assess the impact of SSEHV in the Schools and the Community Outreach programmes.
SSEHV Partnership Establishment with other Educational Institutions and Public Bodies
SAISSE may establish contact, raise awareness on SSEHV and develop partnerships with other public and educational institutions for the promotion of SSEHV in the community, with the approval of SSSWF.
SAISSE may undertake research activities with the objective of understanding how SSEHV contributes to sustainable social, economic and environmental development and global peace. Conference presentations may be made and publications may be produced recognizing the founder of the SSEHV programme, Sri Sathya Sai Baba.
Registration of Institute and Accreditation of Qualifications
SAISSE shall seek to register as a recognised educational service provider in South Africa. It shall also apply for accreditation of its qualifications.
Accountability and Reporting
SAISSE shall be directly accountable to the SSSWF Education Council and shall from time to time submit written reports to the SSSWF and other entities of the International Sathya Sai Organization.